Monday, November 26, 2007

Thursday November 15, 2007

Today we had our appointment with the Elders, who taught the 3rd discussion on the gospel of Jesus Christ and his commandments. We had our appointment at 1:30 pm. It was a good discussion, yet Roman seems to sit through all of these with a half disinterested look on his face. His fidgeting and floppy manner resembles a typical 13 year old boy who has to sit through a Sunday school lesson. His interest seemed to perk a little – not too much because this would not be cool – when the Elders indicated an activity night at the church at 6:00 p.m. – ping pong, chess, card games, etc.

On my way to the church, I took a picture of the window display (or lack of one) in the appliance store below the church. It’s amazing to me that you have a busy street in a rather nice part of Sumy where you have probably 75 feet of beautiful windows to show-case your products. I don’t know if it is a lack of funds for inventory, or not being fully educated in the effects of marketing in a free market economy, but to showcase your store in this manner was rather peculiar to me.


Display Window

Wewent to the church this evening for activity night. I think this is the Sumy branches’s version of young men/young womens’ night. We arrived about 15 minutes early and played ping pong until the elders finished up a discussion with an individual. We then played ping pong with the elders and a couple young men who, I believe the elders met through the free English lessons. They were a couple young men who were studying at the university and were training as hopefuls for the Ukrainian Olympic rowing team. One of these young men had several European rowing competitions captured as digital videos on his cell phone. It was interesting looking not only at his cool cell phone, but the European rowing competition. Most everyone over here in Ukraine have cell phones. Clothing and cell phones are what people spend their money on over here. With an average salary of approximately $2,400 per year ($200/month), it is not uncommon for a women to spend one month salary on a nice looking coat. I’ll have to say, I’ve never seen so many women with dyed hair, as I have over here. Many of the women over here, whether out of self respect or vanity, “dress to kill” when out in public. I’ll have to say, in their European way, I’ve seen a tremendous number of beautiful women.


Roman Playing Ping Pong - "Haming it Up"


Nadia Playing Ping Pong


Nadia with the "Dad-Come On" Look



Ping Pong at the Church




Natalie Freezing at Church

I think playing ping pong was great for Roman. He was beat by Elder Oldroyd, which I think won the respect of Roman. While we played ping pong, Nadia was in the other room playing cards with some of the other youth. Cheryl and I commented on what a great mood the kids were in after activity night.


Roman in front of the Church After Ping Pong


Calvin in front of the Church After Ping Pong

No comments: