Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Monday November 5, 2007

Well today was a red-letter day for us - our big day in court. Our appointment was for 3:00 p.m. to meet with the judge to petition our request to adopt Roman and Nadia. Prior to court, (about 2:00 pm) Cheryl, myself and Natalie (our translator) went and picked up Nadia from her boarding/technical school. Vladimir (our facilitator) went to the orphanage to pick up Roman and Lydia Procofinoff (the school psychologist) along with other officials. We had some time prior to court as it was just a few minute walk from Nadia’s school. We went to McDonalds – which was also close by - to eat some lunch. I can’t remember the last time I ate a big Mac – it was probably last year when Roman was visiting us in Provo (fall 2006). Anyway, throwing all caution to the wind I indulged myself and had a Big Mac. I’ll have to admit – it actually tasted pretty good. To me Big Macs are like going to Lagoon with the kids. Its fun to do, but once a year is plenty. However, I have a feeling I will be going to “Lagoon” several times before I leave Ukraine.

There were several officials at the court who included myself, Cheryl, Nadia, Roman, Natalie (our translator), Lydia Procofinoff (the orphanage psychologist), a Sumy city official (like Division of Family/Welfare Services), a representative from Nadia’s school (Nadia’s English teacher), a prosecuting attorney, a court recorder and the judge. I’m sure I’m leaving some people out, but I can’t remember who they were. Interestingly enough, Roman and I were the only males in the room. The court was actually the judges office – a rather large office with the judge seated behind her desk. There was a medium table which butted up against the judges desk (in a “T” shape) where the prosecuting attorney and court recorder sat. The rest of us were seated around against the back wall and side wall of the court room/office in chairs. The recorder was recording the proceedings of the court by hand – I’m assuming in some type of Cyrillic short-hand (as if Cyrillic doesn’t look like short-hand to begin with). We (all people present) were introduced to the court individually. The judge also communicated to us our rights – right to appeal the decision of the court, etc. We were also asked if we understood our rights of which we answered in the affirmative.

I was then asked to stand and identify myself, address, date of birth, and when we were married. It was here I froze up and for some reason could not remember our March 20, 1985 marriage date. I told the judge “we were married on March 10th . . . no March 15th . . . I can’t remember” . . . and then started to chuckle and laugh a bit. I saw smiles on some of the other ladies in the court room who were amused by what was going on. I knew a joke about being in the “dog house” with my wife, or having to sleep on the couch for the next week for forgetting our anniversary would not be appropriate at this juncture. Also perhaps the imagery literally translated would not be understood (sleeping in a house for dogs – which I don’t believe they have in Ukraine). So I resisted and stated “March 1985” at which point the judge repeated “March 20, 1985” from her notes and our dossier.

Both Cheryl and I were asked detail questions regarding why we were adopting these children, how were we prepared to meet their needs – both physically/emotionally, how our other children felt about the adoption, etc. When the judge asked if I made an adequate income to provide for these extra children, I stated it was not a lavish amount, but adequate to provide for their needs. For once in my life I felt quilt wealthy as I had to state my annual income to the court. The average salary in Ukraine is ranges approximately $160 -240 per month ($2,400 annually). The fact that I earn more money in one month than a most of these people do in one year is a sobering thought. Yes the cost of living in the US is higher, but relatively, we have so much more in terms of wealth and possessions. It has been a humbling thought to consider this and has caused me to consider my resources as a stewardship which I will be held accountable before God.

Both Roman and Nadia were questioned, along with the school officials, the city official, and the prosecuting attorney. The prosecuting attorney found no evidence to present before the court to impede our petition. Nadia mentioned she went to visit her mother recently and her mother did not recognize her – and in fact would not let her in the house - because she did not believe it was her daughter. This was undoubtedly, most likely viewed as favorable, with regards to our petition to the court. We were all excused while the court considered our petition. After a brief recess, we reconvened in the judge’s office where the court officially granted our request to adopt Nadia and Roman. The court decree will be final after a 10 day waiting period in which anyone can appeal the decision.


Outside the Court House After Our Day in Court



Outside the Court with our New Children




To celebrate, Roman wanted to go to McDonalds, which we agree to. It was a shame he was not able to go with us when we went to lunch earlier with Nadia. I told Roman that while I was in high school, I ate four Big Macs with a group of friends in order to impress a girl, and that I would buy him four Big Macs if he would eat them. (I also told him that eating copious amounts of food would not impress the girls.). Roman’s a good eater and was able to ‘pound down’ two Big Macs, share an order of chicken wings with Cheryl, eat an order of French fries, a diet coke (with dad) and a McFlurry – not bad for a 110 lb skinny kid.


Our Translator, Natalie Enjoying a 'Big and Tasty'



Celebrating at McDonalds with our New Children!!!

No comments: