Monday, July 26, 2010

Sunday July 25, 2010

We just returned from church in Simferopol.  What an incredibly small world.  I met a patient of mine whose teeth I had cleaned in my office in January!  She is from Springville and had served as a missionary in Ukraine and then returned to stay with a Ukrainian companion to tour around and see the sites.  It was fun!  We also took photos of the American missionaries and took their mother’s numbers so I can call them. They’re all so cute!  Made me miss my dear missionary son!  I hope he is as happy and well as these Elders appear to be.  There was also an Elder who served in Donetsk with Noel Ellison.  He taught gospel doctrine class and is darling.

It was so wonderful listening (through our very excellent translator, Sasha) to the testimonies of the dear Saints in Ukraine.  Technically, this is the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and for all intents and purposes, seems more Russian in culture – I really don’t get it but I think it’s kind of like our Indian tribes where they still need to keep all the laws of Ukraine but can add on or be more restrictive. (Sorry, little side trip there.)  

These members here are a miracle – each and every one! I think that the Lord has hidden some of his most choice spirits in this “nethermost part of the vineyard.” I can’t believe what they have to overcome in a cultural way to even be open to the Spirit. This is not a “believing” culture and religion holds very little value for most of them.  In fact, many have been raised to scorn it or be suspicious of it, or believe that it’s for weaklings.  How they have remained so spiritually sensitive is mystery to me. It renews my faith!

Even through a translator I received inspiration for what’s going on in my life today.  We all need church and it felt renewing and spiritually invigorating to take the sacrament and reflect on things.  Jacob 5 seems to be a recurring theme that has come up again and again to us recently. It was exactly where we left off as a family in our Book of Mormon reading when we came here. We also keep bumping into it in our scripture study here in Ukraine. We gave each other a meaningful look when a sister at church expounded on it in her talk. It was a tender mercy with a strong message that speaks of our own personal mission here in Ukraine.

We had to get up at 5:30 and take a sweaty, squished two-hour bus ride to church and then an even sweatier, squished two-hour bus ride back. I guess it was our nod to Pioneer Day. But, all is well, we made it back to the apartment. We were so impressed the way Anastasia got us home from Simferopol. The bus station is the central connecting hub for all of Crimea, and very, very busy. She was able to negotiate things and get us from the church to a bus stop, then to the central hub, purchase the tickets, help us order lunch and find the cab ride to our apartment. Frankly, she’s a smarter cookie than I thought we were getting. We loved her when we didn’t know she was so bright, but this is like a bonus! 


 The McDonalds right by the bus station.  Note the crowds.  No we have not yet eaten at Micky Dees - yeah!

8 comments:

The Rogers Family said...

You all look so great! Your pictures make it feel like your on a very exotic vacation! I'm glad things are moving along for your adoption, and that you are able to come home for the 10 day waiting period!

Margie said...

Hi to all three of you! Your boys were so cute at Lake Powell and did so well. The pictures you are taking are amazing. What a beautiful place, and the history is so interesting. Calvin, I hope you are writing a history log. Anastasia is such a beauty and a sweetheart. Please tell her hello and we will try and put some Lake Powell pictures on facebook for you.
Love, Margie

Christy Hinkson said...

We don't know each other very well but I am enjoying following your journey in Ukraine. I am curious if you are a dentist or a hygienist? My husband is a periodontist and our twin daughters are Hygienists. We just returned from Ukraine in June with our 2 new boys. We had a few of those hot, crowded bus rides to church too and it sure makes you appreciate the quick skip to church at home. I hope you enjoy Crimea. We had hoped to get down there but went to Russia to see our son's mission. Sorry to ramble. Congratulations on your adoption. Our prayers are with you.
Christy Hinkson
hinkson@pcu.net

Margie said...

Hey this is Roman, how come you stopped writing?? How are things going. Are you still alive. We miss you. Your favorite son.
Roman

Tell Anastasia Hi....

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site cwinukraine.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site cwinukraine.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

cwendelboe said...

To Anonymous. I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand what you mean by exchange links. If you could let me know what you need/want that would be great.

Dr. Jayesh Deshkar said...

Dear Camille,
Urgent: Big fraud on your name.
Your photos are used by the spam emails and showing you as a orthopedic surgeon working at sparrow offshore company. Your letters and Dr. Monica Geroge letters are same, she is also fraud. And then cheat the people by asking money. It you are really a Camille, please contact me on jvdeshkar9@yahoo.com. I will send you all material I have received on your name with your photos also.
Dr. Jayesh- India.